Tackling environmental challenges – ISO 14000 family of Standards
ISO 14000 Standards for environmental management have achieved a worldwide impact. The ISO 14000 family of Standards has evolved to provide comprehensive solutions to the range of environmental challenges facing business, government, and society today.
ISO 14000 Standards not only provide environmental benefits, but also significant tangible economic benefits, including the following.
River water quality – guidance Standard
A European Standard, Water quality. Guidance Standard on determining the degree of modification of river hydromorphology BS EN 15843:2010, enables consistent comparisons of hydromorphology between rivers within a country.
BS EN 15843:2010:
- provides a method for broad-based characterisation across a wide spectrum of hydromorphological modification of river channels, banks, riparian zones, and floodplains
- aims to assess 'departure from naturalness' as a result of human pressures on river hydromorphology
- suggests sources of information to help characterise the modification of hydromorphological features.
The Standard does not replace methods that have been developed for local assessment and reporting.
→ Buy BS EN 15843:2010 Water quality. Guidance standard on determining the degree of modification of river hydromorphology
- BS EN 14614:2004 Water quality. Guidance Standard for assessing the hydromorphological features of rivers
- BS EN 15708:2009 Water quality. Guidance standard for the surveying, sampling and laboratory analysis of phytobenthos in shallow running water
STANDARD IN DEVELOPMENT
Acoustics – Road traffic noise – New and altered roads
Project Manager: Stuart Ng
Estimated Publication Date: April 2010
Comments: The ballot of the Standard has concluded and final concerns are being addressed. Editing and layout of the publication draft is underway and publication is expected in April 2010.
ENVIRONMENTAL CHOICE NEW ZEALAND
The following draft specification is open for public submission until 29 May 2010.
The following specification revisions are open for public submission until 29 May 2010.
- EC-04-10 Wool & wool-rich pile carpets
- EC-31-06 Textiles, skins and leathers
Specification documents are available from Enviro-choice or by contacting:
The New Zealand Ecolabelling Trust
PO Box 56-533, Dominion Road
Tel: 09 845 3330
Fax: 09 845 3331