Issue 30 – August 2011
A Standard detailing the level of competency required by those responsible for verifying greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions is the latest addition to ISO's toolbox of Standards to address climate change and support emissions trading schemes. Greenhouse gases – Competence requirements for greenhouse gas validation teams and verification teams ISO 14066: 2011 spells out the competence requirements of the personnel undertaking validation or verification activities within the team appointed for the task. ISO 14066 is intended to achieve consistency in the global carbon market and maintain public confidence in GHG reporting and other communications.
With a growing global awareness of the need for environmental protection and sustainability, organisations are eager to demonstrate their efforts to inventory, report, and reduce GHG emissions. To assure the credibility of their claims, many of these organisations are turning to third-party bodies to validate and verify emission assertions. 'The accuracy of an organisation's GHG emissions claims is essential, considering the political and financial ramifications of each claim,' says Dr Tod Delaney, Convenor of the ISO working group responsible for ISO 14066. 'If an organisation publishes claims that are later discovered to be unreliable, it risks damage both financially and in terms of their reputation. This is why the competence of those assessing such claims is absolutely crucial.'
- sets out detailed lists of the skills and knowledge that must be possessed by the auditing team personnel – with the focus on team rather than individual competency
- comprises eight clauses, six annexes, and a bibliography, ISO 14066 covers topics such as independence, integrity, and team competence
- is not linked to any particular greenhouse gas programme
- can be used in conjunction with ISO 14065 for the benefit of greenhouse gas programme administrators, regulators, validation bodies, and verification bodies.
→ Buy ISO 14066:2011 (hard copy) Greenhouse gases – Competence requirements for greenhouse gas validation teams and verification teams
→ Buy ISO 14065:2007 (hard copy) Greenhouse gases – Requirements for greenhouse gas validation and verification bodies for use in accreditation or other forms of recognition
You can order PDFs of ISO and IEC Standards by calling 0800 782 632 during business hours or emailing enquiries@Standards.co.nz.
- ISO 14064.1:2006 Greenhouse gases – Part 1: Specification with guidance at the organization level for quantification and reporting of greenhouse gas emissions and removals
- ISO 14064.2:2006 Greenhouse gases – Part 2: Specification with guidance at the project level for quantification, monitoring and reporting of greenhouse gas emission reductions or removal enhancements
- ISO 14064.3:2006 Greenhouse gases – Part 3: Specification with guidance for the validation and verification of greenhouse gas assertions
- ISO Greenhouse Gases Set